Sunday, April 19, 2009

Mother Dear I Love you so....

your happy smiling face is such a joy to look at, you make home a loving place!
I joke with my kids and my Mom about how on occasion she would require that I recite this Primary song to her. I have a vivid memory of doing it in the kitchen for her once. I have repeated the tradition with Marley a few times, but it isn't as fun because she hasn't ever had to sing that song in Primary!
Since my last post honored my Dad's birthday, I figured I should do the same and honor my Mom on her birthday today. Among the few old pictures I have is the followng gem...
I love this picture because it is old and to see my siblings and I so little is always worth a chuckle. I love that I am wearing yellow and that Brady has one of those velvety (is that a word) onesies on. I love that Travis seems genuinely into having his picture taken. Maybe he is in awe at the bright flash or something. I love that we generally look really happy for whatever reason I can't remember and I love it because my Mom looks beautiful, with earrings, lip gloss and her hair all curled. Even though I don't think she is quite ready to walk out the door. It seems like she is wearing a house dress, but I could be wrong.
Even though my Mom is not the same age in this picture as I am right now, she is the mother of three kids about the same ages as I currently have. So even though for years I have admired the picture for the reasons above, today I realize I appreciate it for so many other reasons. I appreciate that my Mom took the time to make sure that my hair bows matched my dress. I often have problems finding the right bow for Marley, but I love it when she matched head to toe. I appreciate that her baby has shoes and socks on, what an accomplishment. I appreciate that we all seem really happy after getting ready for church (most likely). It is a rare Sunday morning that I haven't lost my temper with my little angels. I appreciate that someone captured this moment for me to admire, even if this moment was few an far between, it gives me something to look up to. I appreciate that I can see my baby sister's face in my Mom in this photo and it makes me happy. I appreciate that I have a mother who may physically be miles away from me, but who I can call whenever I want and talk to her and know that she will listen and talk me through any of the challenges that I might face as a mother of young children. I appreciate that at any instant my Mother can go back to the time in this picture and offer sage advice that helps me through the days, hours and sometimes minutes of raising kids.
I told someone today when we were talking about the kind of people that make good mothers, I said that I often get frustrated with my three kids, but luckily I was raised by an awesome Mom who has magically developed that kind of relationship with us where we seem to only remember the good and not the bad (I am sure there were frustrations and I am sure there was no brainwashing), so there is hope for me still. I pray that someday my kids will say the same about me.
Happy Birthday Mom!
I adore you even more today then I did in this picture!

4 comments:

J+S said...

Very nice tribue, Mickelle.

Emily said...

That was so sweet Mickelle! I love what you said about having the kind of relationship with your kids that they only remember the good. I think all mom's hope for that, since we are all so good at making mistakes here and there. I totally see that with your mom too. She is a great lady and deserves a happy birthday!

That picture is awesome too. I can see Mindy totally! And of course, Brady totally chunky and wearing velvet is always fun to see!

Mindy Lamoreaux said...

What an awesome tribute. We are lucky to have been born to the Mother we did! I love the old picture. It's fun to see Mom and you guys back in the day. I really don't know how she raised all five of us. What an accomplishment!

and yes it really is that time...gotta love the middle of the night when you don't nurse anymore:)

Erin Fonnesbeck said...

What a cute post! Your mom is lucky to have a daughter that appreciates her so much.